We are now accepting applications for the 2022-23 academic year. Please begin your application on our online portal here.
Eligibility and entrance requirements
We are looking for open-minded and driven people to develop and use Franklin technologies in novel, interdisciplinary research spanning our different scientific themes. We welcome candidates from any scientific, maths, computing or engineering backgrounds.
To be considered for this programme, each applicant must have (or is on track to obtain):
- a First Class or 2:1 degree in a relevant subject or
- Any equivalent qualification to the above from a UK or international higher education institution in a relevant subject.
We welcome applications from international candidates, who bring unique perspectives and experiences to the Franklin. We can offer one international candidate a funded place on our Franklin PhD studentship. The successful international candidate will remain registered with University of Edinburgh for the four years, during which time Edinburgh will generously cover international tuition fees. This means that this recipient of the Edinburgh scholarship will not have to pay any fees and will also receive an £18,000 annual stipend funded by the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council.
Whilst applications from international students are welcome at the Franklin, we are not a Tier 4 organisation and so regretfully cannot provide support for visa application costs and the immigration health surcharge.
If English is not your first language, please note that you must be able to demonstrate a proficiency in English which is equivalent to a 7.0 score in an IELTS test, with a minimum score of 6.0 in each individual component. (We will request this from successful candidates after interview.)
What you will need to apply:
Applications for our PhD programme are submitted through our online portal. To complete and submit a PhD application, you will require the following information:
- Your contact details
- The contact details of two academic referees (please click here for suggestions on how to choose an appropriate referee)
- Education and relevant employment experience
- Degree transcripts and degree certificate (if applicable)
- Research experience
- Personal statement 800-word limit (please click here for guidelines on what to include)
If you have any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.